Latchkey takes the responsibility of selecting staff for its programs seriously. We realize that our programs operate within the schools and we work with our staff to maintain a professional environment. Employees are required to wear uniforms and respect all individual school policies as well as those of Latchkey.
Thorough background checks, including personal and business references, criminal history investigations and sex offender registry are conducted on all employees. Each site is assigned at least on teacher with a national professional credential. All Latchkey teachers receive entry level training upon being hired. In addition, they also receive annual program and policy training, adult & child CPR and first aid. Ongoing training and development is important to Latchkey; therefore, we require our teachers to receive a minimum of 20-40 hours of continuing education annually. Optional trainings are offered throughout the year in the areas of health and safety, behavior and guidance, child development, daily programming and administration/professionalism.
When hiring new employees Latchkey looks for the following attributes:
- Desire to work with children
- Knowledge of child development
- Experience working with children
- Degree/credential or current efforts towards a degree/credential in early childhood development or education
- Member of the community which the program will serve
- Professional attitude and high level of responsibility
- Commitment to professionalism and personal growth